Extension v3 release issues
Webextension V3 Release Issues
On Wednesday 27th of January 2021, the team started the rollout of the V3 webextension using the auto update functionalities provided by the Chrome and Firefox web store. This version included a major overhaul of the data validation logic, including a more strict validation of data coming from the server. Users with databases data that were breaking relational constraints, experienced issues rendering the software partially or completely unusable.
Why was this happening?
Typically, some older instances with data coming from v1 contained some data integrity issues that were not addressed by v2 migrations. Users that also manually edited data in the database, were also affected. Much of these issues could be solved running the “data cleanup” script provided with the Passbolt API.
Additionally, some users are using self-made public keys that use RSA-sign only keys to encrypt the data, an unsecure scheme that has been made incompatible with the latest version of OpenPGP.js (ref. #1148). As a temporary solution, the application will support these keys, as it was historically supported, until a long term solution is defined to help users rotate their keys and identify the weak keys.
All the issues reported by the community have been fixed by relaxing the validation rules or adding some preprocessing to sanitize the data coming from the server.
What are we doing to prevent this from happening again?
We are improving our test data set to be used during the pre-release acceptance test round, to include corrupted and invalid data, to make sure the application remains usable even when some or all of the data is corrupted or invalid.
We will be adding additional data integrity checks and self-repair mechanisms as part of the server logic.
27th of January:
- 08:30 CET: Web extension v3 published on webstore
- 10:00 CET: Some users are reporting issues on forum as automatic rollout is in progress
- 11:30 CET: v3.0.1 hotfix published on webstore fixing avatar and tag issues
- 13:00 CET: A general post on the community forum is created providing workarounds
- 13:00 CET: A general github issue is created providing workaround
- 13:30 CET: v3.0.2 hotfix published on webstore fixing favorites issues
- 17:30 CET: v3.0.3 hotfix published on webstore fixing gpgkeys issues
3rd of February:
- 13:30 CET: v3.0.4 hotfix published on webstore fixing group user and opengpg.js issues
- 17:30 CET: v3.0.5 hotfix published on webstore fixing session keep alive issues
This article was last updated on February 10th, 2021.