How to import passwords from a csv or kdbx file
How to import passwords in passbolt
- Make sure you have an edition of passbolt that supports import (at the time of writing this, it is only shipped with Passbolt Pro)
- Click on the “import” button at the top left, next to the “create” button.
- Select a file (supported files are kdbx or csv. More details below.)
- Click on “continue import”
- For kdbx files, you might need to enter a password. Enter it and click “Ok”.
- The import will start. You will see a progress bar.
- At the end of the import, you will see a report. After closing this window, you will see the passwords imported in your workspace.
Supported file formats
Passbolt import system supports the following file formats:
- Kdbx (file format used by Keepass 2.x)
- Csv - keepass export
- Csv - 1password export
- Csv - Lastpass export
If you’d like to request the support of a specific format, you can open a request on the community forum.
File format examples
url,username,password,extra,name,grouping,fav https://test.url,account1,P4ssw0Rd!,,Account1,,0 https://test.url,account1,P4ssw0Rd!,,Account2,,0 ,,P4ssw0Rd!,,Account3,,1
Title,Username,URL,Password,Notes,Type Account1,account1,https://test.url,P4ssw0Rd!,Notes Account2,server, Account2,account2,https://test.url,P4ssw0Rd!,Notes Account2,shell, Account3,,,P4ssw0Rd!,Notes Account3,server
Csv (Keepass / KeepassX)
"Group","Title","Username","Password","URL","Notes" "My Servers","Account1","account1","P4ssw0Rd!","https://test.url","this is the description" "My Servers","Account2","account2","P4ssw0Rd!","https://test.url","this is the description" "My Servers","Account2","","P4ssw0Rd!","https://test.url",""
download example (the file is not password protected)
Other frequently asked questions in the same category
- How to install and remove browser extensions
- How to create and setup an account
- How can I recover my passphrase?
- What can I do if my registration token expired?
- How can I change the profile picture
- How to copy a password to clipboard
- Password basics
- Managing your favorites
- How to share passwords
- How to import passwords from a csv or kdbx file