How to create and setup an account
Creating a demo account
Passbolt requires a server to work. You can either install it on your own machine or use the demo environment. Here is the procedure to try out the demo:
Step 1. Open the demo page: https://demo.passbolt.com.
Step 2. An add-on is required to use passbolt, click on the link to install the plugin for Firefox or Chrome.
Step 3. You will see a small red key icon in the upper right hand corner of your browser. Click on it.
Step 4. Select the demo instance.
Step 5. Click the Register button and enter your name and email. Other users will be able to see your email ( this is to allow testing “sharing” functionality), so you can use a throw-away email account if you are not confortable with this.
Step 6. Passbolt sent you an email that contains a link allowing you to login.
Setup the account
Step 1. Check your email. When you click this link the setup will start.
Step 2. passbolt will ask you to check the URL passbolt is associated with
Step 3. If you recognize the domain name, check the checkbox and then click Next.
Step 4. Passbolt will ask you to create a new key on the following screen:
Step 5. Next, passbolt will help you create a new master password. Choose this password wisely, it will be the gatekeeper to all your other passwords.
Step 6. Once you have chosen your master password and clicked Next, you will be given the opportunity to download your private key. It is highly recommended that you do so!
Step 7. The final step is to create a security token. Choosing a color and a three character token is a secondary security mechanism that helps you know you are logging into a real passbolt instance.
Set up your profile
- Once you have registered, log in to passbolt for the first time. You will see a welcome screen.
- You can edit your profile by clicking the user icon in the upper right corner and choosing “my profile”
- Click the edit button on the left side to edit your name or upload a profile picture.
Other frequently asked questions in the same category
- How to install and remove browser extensions
- How to create and setup an account
- What can I do if my registration token expired?
- How can I change the profile picture
- How to copy a password to clipboard
- Password basics
- Managing your favorites
- How to share passwords
- How to import passwords from a csv or kdbx file
- How to disable your browser/mobile built-in password manager
- How to use tags (PRO)
- Roles and permissions FAQ
- Roles and permissions
- How to subscribe to the account recovery program?
- How to review an account recovery request
- How to generate an OpenPGP key
- How to recover my passphrase?
- How to recover an account?
- How to export passwords in a csv or kdbx file